FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AT OUR CLINIC.
When can I eat again after an anesthetic?
After dental treatment with an anesthetic (local anesthesia), eating and drinking hot drinks should be delayed until the anesthesia has completely worn off. Otherwise there is a risk of biting your lip or cheek and/or burning yourself. The anesthetic can last up to 3 hours.
Do wisdom teeth always have to be removed?
No. Wisdom teeth do not always have to be removed. However, it is often the case that removal is recommended due to lack of space or pain. It can also make sense to have your wisdom teeth removed for orthodontic reasons. Whether or not there is a need must be decided by the dentist on a case-by-case basis.
How long after a tooth extraction / dental surgery should I expect pain?
After a tooth extraction or a surgical procedure, wound pain and swelling can occur in the first 1 – 3 days in individual cases, which are completely normal. Taking painkillers can bring relief.
However, if the symptoms persist for a longer period of time, a check-up by the dentist is recommended.
How do I behave after a tooth extraction or a surgical procedure?
- As a rule, after a tooth has been removed, we insert a gauze pad that you have to bite on for about 1 hour to stop the bleeding.
- Physical exertion immediately after the procedure should be avoided.
- Cooling the affected cheek area (with short breaks) can reduce or even prevent any swelling.
- Dental care should be carried out as usual, whereby the wound should only be cleaned carefully.
- Please do not touch the wound with fingers or tongue all the time to avoid infection.
- Please refrain from nicotine and caffeine in the days after the procedure, as this can lead to painful wound healing disorders.
- Please refrain from consuming milk and milk products such as quark, yoghurt and cheese. The lactic acid bacteria contained in the products could penetrate the wound and cause inflammation.
- Please do not take any painkillers that contain acetylsalicylic acid (ASA, aspirin), as they have a blood-thinning effect.
- Please wait until the anesthetic has worn off before eating or drinking hot drinks. There is a risk of biting your lip or cheek and/or burning yourself.
- If pain occurs after the local anesthetic has worn off, please take the prescribed painkiller. However, if the bleeding persists, pain after 2 to 3 days or a temperature above 38.5 °C, please come to the dental clinic Bunde immediately.
How often should I go to the dentist?
A six-monthly check-up at the dentist is recommended, ie twice a year. Even if you have healthy teeth, you should go to the dentist for regular check-ups.
What happens at the first dentist appointment?
During your first appointment with us, there is usually no treatment – unless you have acute symptoms. In this appointment we only record the findings. If no current X-ray is available, one can be made.
This is followed by a detailed discussion in which you will be informed about the findings and any treatment that may be necessary.
We will discuss with you what wishes and ideas you have for a possible treatment.
I have a toothache. What can I do?
If you have a toothache, please call us at the clinic on +49 4953 9237710. We will make an appointment with you as soon as possible and get to the bottom of the pain.
If acute toothache occurs at the weekend, on public holidays or outside of opening hours, please contact the dental emergency service.
How often should I go for a professional teeth cleaning (PZR)?
Normally, professional teeth cleaning should be done twice a year. For certain findings such as B. severe periodontitis, more frequent cleaning can be useful.
How much does a professional tooth cleaning (PZR) cost?
Professional teeth cleaning costs vary. They depend on the condition of your teeth and the effort involved. Some statutory health insurance companies now subsidize or assume such treatment.
Tooth Whitening: Can I Whiten Any Tooth?
Tooth whitening by bleaching is only possible on natural and healthy teeth. An exception is discolored root canal treated teeth.
Dentures or existing fillings cannot be whitened. This can only be achieved by renewing the existing restoration.
How much does a dental implant cost?
The exact costs for an implant incl. Dentures cannot be called a general term. The costs depend on the findings and the necessary surgical effort – for example, is bone augmentation necessary or not.
It also plays a role which type of dentures you want. You are welcome to arrange a non-binding consultation appointment in our clinic.
What is the difference between sedation and general anesthesia?
Sedation: Sedation is twilight sleep. The patient is conscious and responsive. However, he can no longer remember the treatment afterwards. Sedation is used for rather shorter treatments.
General anesthesia: In general anesthesia, the patient is in a state similar to deep sleep. You are not conscious and therefore not responsive. The anesthesia is carried out by an experienced anesthetist.
In both procedures, you are not allowed to drive on the road for 24 hours after the procedure and an accompanying person is required.
Treatment under sedation or general anesthesia can be useful, especially for severely anxious patients.
Is it possible to pay in installments?
Our billing is done via Health AG, which allows payment in installments. You gave your consent at your first appointment. The first 12 months are interest-free. If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. The necessary information is available from us at the Bunde Dental Clinic.
Your question was not included? Then please get in touch with us.
// We are your contact for dentistry in East Friesland.
Dental clinic Bunde
Zum Park 4
26831 Bunde, Germany